Monday, July 28, 2008

The Bad News Bees

OMG, OMG, OMG...and I didn't get a picture of it.

I was sitting at the table in the kitchen reading my email and drinking a cup of tea and I heard a strange sound. I thought to myself, "What the heck is coming up the driveway now?" Thinking it was some type of farm equipment or tractor or something. I looked up at that point and looked out the window. To my horror it was a massive swarm of bees all flying madly around like they were really super pissed at something!! My first thought is KILLER BEES on a rampage. I SCREAMED for Buddy as he was just previously outside sound asleep on the deck. I ran from one end of the house to the other making sure all openings were closed off so they couldn't come in the house.

Still I don't have Buddy, he's nowhere to be seen and of course with my morbid imagination, he's dead on the ground after being horribly stung by bees. The bees, still flying around MADLY, went past the side entrance and then headed around the corner of the house. You could easily hear the mad buzzing through all the closed windows. The other three dogs who were previously sleeping in various locations around the house are all freaking out and barking. Partially due to the bees and partially due to me freaking out and screaming for Buddy who still hasn't shown up.

I ran back to the front door and very carefully opened it and looked for the mad swarm. I didn't see it on this side of the house so I yelled again for Buddy. This time he comes around the corner and runs into the house. His fur was all standing up on his back so I guess they freaked him out too and he headed for the hills until they passed the house.

Now there is no sign of them. I don't hear them. I hope to hell they don't come back!

Hmm, on a side note, I wonder if I should be reporting this to someone. MNR or whoever. What are your thoughts on this? Should I contact the Ministry and report a huge swarm of rogue bees? I fear that if they approached someone, they wouldn't hesitate to sting. They were super pissed.

3/4 of an hour has passed since this incident (which only lasted a couple of minutes, maybe less) and my heart is still beating hard and my hands are all shaky! Freakin' bees.

5 comments:

Twisted Knitter said...

I don't blame you for being shaky still! Oh wow -- so glad Buddy's okay (and the rest of the furry animals too).

Probably you should report it . . . perhaps they can track their location somehow?

loony said...

OMG~! i can tell you how unhelpful 1800-bear was, but i do not know if there is a 1800-bees~!

freaky?! glad to hear they left quickly!!!

BevMakesStuff said...

On another note. Yes..the bees left that day.
Although, on the weekend Rusty was working on his car near the big yellow building and he said it sounded like a chopper was approaching. He said he looked up and there was a swarm of bees acting in the same manner the size of that big tree near the shop!! Hundreds of thousands of bees, all flying around madly. Thank goodness they decided to fly on past because if they hadn't, I'd be a widow right now!! He said he didn't even have time to dive into the car. He just sat very still beside it!!!
Yikes, freakin' bees!!

BevMakesStuff said...

Oh and I asked a person in the know about the bees acting like this and they told me that when they are moving from one hive to another, this is the way the colony protects the queen. She was probably in the middle of that madly buzzing bunch.

ANONI_MOOSE said...

Sounds like you were a little bee-sides yourself...
Good that there was no harm done.
The silver lining is that your area doesn't seem like it is having a problem with CCD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

I wonder if there is a connection between this problem and what is being used to ward off West Nile mossies?

Without these industrious insects there would bee little of beauty to look at, never mind to eat.